HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Mother


A Mother's Love


As we are thinking of mother's day this weekend, my thoughts turn toward my mother.


 She will be 86 this year and I am so grateful to God that He has let her stay with us a little longer. 
She has been the strong silent rock that has been faithful to her family for many years. My dad has been gone a few years now but she continues to live life to the fullest. 
She told me, "I don't know why the Lord keeps me here now, except to pray". 
My mother has long been a prayer warrior. She has stormed the throne of God for many people. She contends for us, her family on a daily basis. 
One of the many memories I have as a teenager that  has  helped shape who I am today, was walking into the kitchen on Wednesdays and seeing my mother and her good friends (Betty, Elenore, Dorothy and Gloria), around the table with scarves on their heads, praying... Powerful women of God, praying for their husbands, children, friends and nation. Contending in the courtroom of the most high... It is why and who I am today. My mother's strength goes beyond her Swedish roots, they lie in knowing the faithfulness of her God. 


She was not one to sit and talk much, we didn't pour our hearts out to each other but she was always there if I needed to. She is quick to say I love you and that is all it takes some times. Her actions speak louder than her words. It has been by example that I knew how to be a mother. It has been by her actions that taught me to know what to do in hard circumstances. 
Life can be difficult, sometimes seemingly impossible to handle, as my mother knows. I have watched my mother bury her oldest son, when he was only 18 years old with strength and grace. Praising God in all things with thanksgiving in her heart. That only comes from a heart so grounded in the love of God, that she totally trusts him for whatever comes her way. 
I remember, 13 years ago when my daughter had the twins premature. It was many weeks of not knowing what the next day would bring. They were barely 2 pounds and hanging on to life by a thread. Little by little they grew stronger and each hurdle was taken down by prayer and the wonders modern medicine. They finally came home and we not really knowing what to expect, we handled one problem after the next. My daughter was a brilliant mother, that first year with babies that cried much, slept less and could hardly keep their food down. The day came when a call from the doctor told her the boys had severe brain damage. Cerebral Palsy. They will be highly disabled, never to speak or walk or eat.

 Luke

Zachary

 I will never forget that phone call from my daughter, she crying and me saying I will be right over. As a mother how do you handle that moment, what do you say... how do you give hope to your daughter, as a mother. My strength cometh from the Lord and my mother... I did what my mother would have done... I said what my mother would have said... I knew what to do because my mother had given me that gift. 
The boys are a gift from the most high God and we will praise and thank him for all things. We will love them all the more. 
Those boys have strengthened our family and bound us together in love. The Lord has truly blessed us with all our grandchildren but the boys have been a true lesson in perspective. How thankful we are and humbled by the love that has been given to us.
 so but this too, we glory in tribulations also knowing that suffering produces endurance: and endurance, tested character and tested character, hope and hope never disappoints us; for through the Holy Spirit that has been given us, God's love has flooded our hearts. Romans 5:3


The one gift that out shines all of the many gifts and talents my mother has given to her family, is the gift of loving God first. She has been a loving and faithful servant to Jesus Christ 
and for that I say thank you mom... I love you.


Wishing you a most blessed Mother's Day!


I have been blessed beyond measure...














Blessings,
Rebecca
I am linking with Inspiration Friday at Common Ground with my friend Debra to share all my inspiration.

26 comments:

  1. lovely. an inspiration to us all...happy Mother's day to you...
    melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post, What a strong role model your mother is for all the generations that will follow. Having just lost my mother recently I really felt peace and was reminded that God has a plan, now instead of feeling sad I feel happy and from reading your post I will be better able to enjoy my children on mothers day and not dwell on the fact I have lost my mother. Thank you so much for that, Happy Mothers day to you, your daughter and your mother!!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rebecca, Happy Mother's Day. You are so blessed to have your Mom with you, and so sweet to share your life with us. Enjoy every moment! Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful..beautiful post. oh my..i have tears streaming down my face. your words just touched me deeply. i thank you ever so much for sharing your family with me. i am horned to know you. happy mother's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no love like a mothers and what a gift to have one such as your in your life. My mother too was our prayer warrior. I sure miss her. She, like yours was such a wonderful example of love.
    Hugs and Happy Mother's day.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca,

    You have a beautiful family and I enjoyed reading about your Mother and the strong role model she was for you all.
    Wishing you a wonderful Mothers Day

    Hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a beautiful family and the love you all have absolutely radiates from the page....how fortunate you are. blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mothers Day dear Rebecca <3

    xxx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only imagine God looking down on those Wednesdays at His lovely group of storm troopers in dresses and saying "OK ladies...let's talk!"
    Beautiful post R.E. You truly have been blessed and me for knowing you.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rebecca-I read every post and although I don't always comment-I praise God for your faith and ministry! You are such a special lady with many gifts beyond measure and I can see God's hands working thru you to others-like me-May God continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Rebecca,
    What a beautiful post. You always manage to not only inspire me but hit on a topic so dear to me. I lost my precious Mother on Mothers Day in 06 when my babies were 2. I need to post about her Sunday. It's such a conflicted day for me. And your families little miracles, well I know how much joy & happiness they bring you my friend.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing....SO inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Rebecca, what a beautiful and inspiring post... you have such a gorgeous family. Wishing you a blessed and wonderful Mothers Day!
    hugs~~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dearest Rebecca,
    How many strong and loving women you are all, in your family- everyone climped the latter of love, even there have been so many heavy difficulties, for all of you, sweet.
    Thankyou for posting all the beautiful photoes of your wonderful family- grown ups-and children, --Your daughters ,you and your mom- are all beautiful mothers, and I wish you all a happy Mothers Day.
    Love to you, my dear friend.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Rebecca, this is Inspiration on the highest level. Thank you for sharing it with us for Mother's Day. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman, it seems to run in your family, much love,D

    ReplyDelete
  16. If only I could find the words to do my mother justice. I cannot so I will just say I love you very much mom, thank you for giving me what grandma gave you. Happy Mother's Day!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are so blessed with your family. God's presence for sure.
    hugs,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rebecca,

    What a beautiful family you have.
    And yes, those boys are a blessing
    from God in a most special way.

    He always has the perfect way of
    showing us perspective.

    Pink Sparkles for your day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Rebecca you've said it all so well. You have the most beautiful family. The love shows from all their smiling faces.
    Happy Mothers Day,
    Carle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Be still my heart...what a absolutely beautiful and touching post! Thank you Becca! You are loved beyond measure and I am blessed to know you! Happy Mother's Day and Blessings to your mom and children.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Rebecca,

    Awesome inspiring post, thank you!

    Margo http://piecesoflifeetal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you a wonderful Mother's Day Rebecca. Your post brought tears to my eyes and so much respect for you and your faith. We, as Moms always say we don't know what we would do if something bad happens to one of our children, but with God's help and guidance we can handle anything thrown our way.

    Enjoy your day:-)

    xoxo
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are truly blessed, Rebecca, to have a mother who is so devoted to the LORD! It's obvious that her example has been a beacon to others of the love of Jesus. ;)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! What a beautiful tribute to your Mom and family! Leaves me feeling all warm and fuzzy...I mean leaves "her" feeling all warm and fuzzy. As a cat, I am already all warm and fuzzy so that's not so remarkable, but from "her"....well that's different ;)

    Happy Mother's Day Rebecca!

    Romeo and "her"

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have a beautiful family!! I'm too late for mother's day - but I'm sure you feel blessed every day!
    -karin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog.. Such a beautiful tribute to your mother and your beautiful family. A strong testimony to faith.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.