HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Annie Sloan... one more time


Hello
Summer is fading fast even though we still have warm temps here in the Midwest. 
The nights are cool and the days are getting shorter, autumn is fast approaching... my favorite time of year.
 I am always reluctant to say good bye to summer though, knowing fall passes by oh so quickly.
 I am trying to hold on to summer but it is hard when you have a great big old tree that insists on shedding its leaves in September. As I walk to the studio, leaves crunch beneath my flip flops and I can hear the chipmunks rustling in the leaves and with every wisp of breeze a new wave of leaves descend. 
Not to mention it is 6 pm and I need to turn the lights on in the house... 




These days you will find me in the studio or the garage depending on the time of day. Mornings are garage time before the sun comes around and heats up the driveway.
 I head to the studio when it gets too hot, it faces east and stays pretty cool, besides I have air in there. I am fervently trying to get ready for the
It is in the beginning of October and I have many projects going.
I am so excited to be a part of this great event and looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting new friends. 


I am having so much fun with the theme for my space and the color pallet. I am doing a Nature/Herbarium theme with a twist of apothecary. I have been drawing and using water colors for the first time and love it. 
Lots of birds, butterflies and shells!



 I've been putting nature studies together and using old books... 
lots of old books and journals.




 That's what I have been doing in the studio but the garage is a different story...
Hard work in the garage, fixing, painting, sorting...
My latest project has been an old chair that has lots of character but needed some work...
 ok, a lot of work.


So I drug out my Annie Sloan chalk paint. If you remember I had used Annie Sloan paint and did a post on it 
It still continues to be one of my most popular posts.
 I started thinking about how it claims to adhere to any surface (even plastic) and thought I would give it a shot on fabric. 


The fabric on this old chair had a great texture and it was in good condition but the color was off and it had some spots. Even more spots after I got through stripping the arm... should have covered that... 
So I thought what do I have to lose.
 I had to rebuild one of the arms and I stripped the wood. I taped off everything I didn't want Old White and I mixed Annie Sloan paint with water.
 I used about half and half ratio, maybe a little more paint. 


I used a small roller for the large area and a brush around the wood area. I put one coat on and let it dry overnight.


This is one coat.


After 24 hours I put the second coat on and let dry for 24 hours. I had planned on a third coat but honestly it didn't need it. I did touch up where needed and let dry...




I used Annie Sloan clear wax on the wood. And here it is...


It does not feel like paint, it feels like a stiff canvas. This chair had a heavy texture so it feels like the chair looks.




I have to say I am well pleased. In my initial post about the paint I wasn't all that impressed because I had been doing my own painting technique on furniture for years and I thought it was too expensive for what it did. But when you consider painting on fabric and cutting the paint in half, I have to say it was well worth my buck.

I will be bringing this chair to Tennessee, so if you have a mind come down and see me... I would love to see you!
Many Blessings
Rebecca




19 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca,
    Your workshop is so adorable! Love how the chair turned out. It looks gorgeous, so hard to believe it's painted. Great job! It really brings out the texture. Good luck at the show!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could but a bit far from where I am here in Oregon! I hope it all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you're doing with the theme for the show...birds and nature...my favorite things. love your birdie and butterfly drawings! That chair turned out just fabulous, I've seen other upholstery in ASCP and it really does look amazing. I know you're having a great time amid all your projects, have a wonderful show, Rebecca. I'm loving this time of the year! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Botanical, Entomology Botanist look and Theme is a preferred Style of mine so I'm TOTALLY Loving it... and your Drawings and Creativity to give it your own Personal Touch and Spin. I'd buy your Artwork, ADORE the Moth Drawings!!! Can't wait to see the Vignettes you will Create in your Spaces!

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,
    Oh I am sooooo excited that you will be at the barn sale in Franklin next month! I am coming with a friend to shop and look forward to meeting you. Luv how you chair makeover looks. I just purchased a French style loveseat yesterday to resale and it had been painted (I now feel better about my purchased). See ya at the sale:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca, Have fun on your trip and be safe. Wish I could visit with you again. Miss seeing you at Horton's. I swear painting chairs, has a new meaning after this. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice, Rebecca. And a canvas type texture is perfect for your whole look. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read a few other posts about painting furniture...I love it! I have a couple of chairs I am going to try this on. Would love to make the sale in Franklin TN....sounds exciting....may have to add that to my "want to do" list... Thanks for the info. Have a great week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca, hello!
    Oh I have to tell you once again that I love your birds drawings and the moths ,too...they are so beautiful, dear.
    And then your chair...WOW it turned out fantastic,-and very beautiful as well!!
    I wish you some great dayes and a safe trip, dear friend.
    Hugs and love, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rebecca,
    Well, I LOVE your garden, LOVE your studio, LOVE your drawings and paintings and your chair looks AMAZING. I have seen it done before by Gua @ Hvitur Lakkris and it works so well ...... you wouldn't think it would would you ?!!
    You have SO much talent Rebecca ..... you seem to be able to turn your hand to so many things and do them so beautifully. It is a joy to see your work and so inspirational.
    Wishing you a lovely week .... thanks so much for your comment today ....... I have been a little lax with my commenting lately but I am trying to do better !!!! Lots of love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Rebecca your chair turned out beautifully! Love the texture and design of the fabric showing through! Yes this paint works great on fabric.I have done this on several pieces now and I am very pleased.Much easier than reupholstering it!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can imagine how gratifying it is to walk that charming path to your studio, Rebecca! What a quaint and cozy space! I'd give anything to have a little building like that to work in. :) Your chair turned out exquisite! I've heard that ASCP is just magical on fabric. Can hardly wait to try it myself now!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it - I'll have to tell Flyboy about the paint. How well do you think it would hold up on outside furniture?

    You studio looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, trying to Guess the Vendor, that comment made my day when you came for a Blog Visit! *LOL* I thought I was the only one that did that?!? *Winks* Guess I'm a Hopeless Case as well, but now at least I know I'm in Good Company!

    Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my goodness. I love all of your art work. I want to come to the show!! Alas it is a far stretch from Washington state. The chair you redid sure did turn out wonderful! I would have never thought to thin the paint. Such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to see you goodies at the show. Most of all I can't wait to hang out with you guys!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Rebecca
    Not sure what happened, my comment disappeared in Internet space.... :-) I will try again. I just love your blog, your creativity and your "about me" profile. Your love for God and Art are very inspiring and I admire those talented souls who credit the real Creator...you are a special one, I can tell.

    Thanks for sharing so much with us
    Big hugs
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi rebecca!
    i am new to your blog....Z from old grey mare blog sent me your way....i am just lovin your watercolors and wowza, that chair painted with annie sloane paint is a super cool idea. i will be walking around my house thinking of which chair i can paint tomorrow! i live just a couple of miles away from the "pop up barn" sale in tn....so i hope to meet you there.
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  19. I this is so neat! I have an old rocking chair like from the early 1900's that needs re-furbished and this is neat idea!! I am new to your blog and look forward to more ideas...

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.