HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Friday, February 10, 2012

Powder Room Re-do


Hello
I have been working on the house a little this past week.
 I decided the (very) small powder room downstairs off the hallway needed some attention. It has been at least ten years since I did anything with it, most of my rooms are like that. I plan on painting each room one by one this year. The family room is next! The bathroom as you will see was an after thought, as is the case in most old houses.  Actually what spurred the re-do is I wanted to try a black board wall, they look so fun. I do not have much wall space in this house with all the large windows so this seemed to be the only place I could try this.
These are pictures of the before...
I have a half wall of tile and the rest was painted white. 



The accent color was pink, because the old built in cupboard had been painted pink and I liked that it was aged.






The old French sconces are pink (which is harder to find) I had them mounted not realizing they still had the European light socket in them... so they were never lit. (These btw will be for sale)


So the only light in here is the lamp.




You can see how small this bathroom is, when we replaced the sink it took a custom smaller sink from Kholer and the ugly little thing was $450 twenty years ago.



First thing I did was get rid of the pink... if I was doing a black board wall in here it had to have an industrial edge and the little cupboard just happened to be lined in tin.


I totally forgot what an awful job stripping was...


I decided on a complementing white paint to match the warm gray I was putting on the walls. Martha Stewart's Whetstone gray.
I also decided no money was going to be spent on this project except for the two quarts of paint and the black board paint. I was happy to discover that black board paint can be mixed to the color you choose. I chose moonstone gray. 


I shopped my garage... I came up with the English metal mirror, the oil funnel chandelier, the old giant scoop and wire locker basket.


The skirt I made from some good burlap material I had in the studio. This is a better quality that can be bought in the needlepoint section of the fabric store. I lined it in white linen and applied it with velcro.


I decided to hang the chandelier and go down to one sconce but as you can see I haven't found one yet. I need something simple but rustic, I have some old funky light covers that I will use.


I will also change out the dark cord on the chandelier...




I had these old metal shoe stretchers in my stash that I thought looked good and balanced out the mirror that covers the sconce hole in the wall.




I love this old dress lining advertisement mirror


The chalk board wall is perfect here... you can draw as you sit :)




My little collection of old perfume bottles I kept, but I need a mirror or something in the back of the top shelf to reflect light and the bottles. I couldn't find one to fit so I may need to keep a look out for that also.






I like this look but do not have it anywhere else in the house... I thought I just would have fun with this... and it was.
Wishing all of you a wonderful weekend.
Blessings
Rebecca

I am linking up with some Friday Fun parties, please join me!

Debra at Common Ground

LaurieAnna's Vintage Farmhouse

At the Picket Fence

2805

and

The Charm of Home

26 comments:

  1. This is super cute my sweet!
    I love the chalkboard wall in here! Perfect!
    Makes me want to come over and go potty!
    Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful transformation! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca...
    Although I got a big chuckle out of your guests drawing and "???" at the same time who would dare mar the beautiful drawing you have in there? This would be my favorite place to "sit" in your house it is so dang charming!!!!
    Oh dang, I'm going to be late for work! lol this was just too good to pass up!! lol
    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic redo!!! I love the mirror, love it I tell 'ya! And drawing while I sit, well since I don't have an Ipad yet to read blogs, I could make a to do list! And tinting the chalkboard paint? So it comes out a lighter black with a hint of the color you tint with? Lastly, when your husband comes searching for his scoop and funnel tell him to get his own.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun idea, love how you used the gray and industrial look! I'm with Donna, I'd just wanna hang out in here! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great redo of an old bathroom. Love it-especially the chalkboard wall. You can always leave yourself a note that you are low on toilet paper. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea.That turned out great.You did a great job drawing that chair.Don't think mine would look that great.Boy are your Grandchildren going to love that chalkboard too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you done it again! Created a fabulous room! I should have let you put some things on the wall while you were at my house! I haven't had any time do put any thing eles up! One of these days! Love you new bath redo!

    tot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pretty little bathroom. All of the details and vintage pieces are so perfect. Love it all.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo Rebecca, it is fun and pretty. The ad mirror and chalk board wall are neat touches. In this high tech age I long to go back to chalk myself. hugs, olive

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love your little powder room! The funnel light is fab! But that Gilberts sign is just so perfect!
    And what a great idea for chalkboard in there, too.
    What a terrific makeover :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful girlfriend! You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL draw as you sit.... 'honey, are you okay in there?...you've been in their for almost an hour'..... Glad you had fun doing this - rooms that we enjoy putting together always turn out 'happy'! I hope you have a great weekend!

    Hugs,

    "Her" and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to go girl...this room rocks!!!! You just have the touch! Oh I love that funnel chandy! I laughed about sitting and drawing : ) You funny girl!!!
    sending love...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am new to the blog world and luckily I happened upon your blog. I LOVE IT! Your home is soooooo warm and beautiful! I will be spending a lot of time this weekend pouring over all of your older posts! Can you tell me who did your blog? I absolutely love the way it is set up. Thanks, so much, for such a nice place to visit for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog especially the background. It is so beautiful. I can't wait to see the new posts I get now that I am joining your site.

    Cynthia
    http://clochesandlavender.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Powder Room redo is fabulous. I love all the little details the jars, the drawing of the chair which looks like chalk to me very impressive and the window that says Gilberts on it all the little touches.

    Cynthia
    www.clochesandlavender.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodnes, Rebecca, yuou have worked big again dear.
    And changed this room to a beautiful and so shabby fabolous new place to enjoy.I love all the old pieces that you left as is, and your angel is so lovely.
    You are a master creater and decorater-
    Hugs and love,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the new look ~ especially your artwork on the chalk wall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the changes - the sink skirt is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it amazing what paint (or the removal of) will do to a room?! I love it! THANKS for the tip to find a better grade of burlap...I'm going to look there.
    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, very nice! I love the chalk board! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think you did a wonderful job. And I can see from your photos that you had your work cut out for you. love the chalk board wall.

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos. Great job in here. Will be back to read more. :)
    Philippine properties

    ReplyDelete
  26. Who would of thought about a black board bathroom wall? How incredible. Ok, I could just live on your blog. Your style is just so inspiring. I am just loving every picture. You are so creative and talented.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.