HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

An Unplanned Blessing

Hello

I have had another full week with my son's birthday, working in the studio, some yard work and going through stuff (more on that later).
But it is all about the details of our lives that count the most. I have been truly concentrating on the small wonders that God blesses us with. To really be faithful and aware of the smallest of blessings. The warmth of the sun now, the smell of the earth in spring, the chatter of the birds, that have been silenced by winter, the rebirth of nature in all it's splendor. 


...And then there are the bigger blessings that humble you and bring tears to your eyes because you are overwhelmed by the precious gift you have been given. 
This is my blessing I am celebrating this week, my only son, a son that I couldn't have asked better for, a son that God has blessed with kindness of heart and a happy soul that still loves to be a boy, yet successful as a man...who loves life at forty one. 


Such things, fills a mother's heart to overflowing. 


I really wasn't planning on writing this today... but as you will see most unplanned blessings turn out to be the best. This is what is on my heart right now so here goes...



My son was born to a very young me. I had married my high school sweet heart a year after graduation. We enjoyed a nice little house in the suburbs and at the age of 20, I had two daughters, 2 1/2 years apart and fell into motherhood with a natural ease. 
After the birth of my first child Jody, I absolutely fell in love with her and while pregnant with my second daughter Kerri, I worried... how could I love another as much as I do my first. Well, as many of you know that was a foolish worry but I was young.


 I felt that my family was complete, at least for awhile. I had been under the care of a wonderful doctor but back in 1970 we were still in the general thinking that doctors knew everything and what they said was written in stone. And they practiced that thought.
 My doctor had recommended the use of an IUD for contraceptive. Without explaining a thing or me knowing what it was or even time to ask anyone he inserted the coil. I was in pain for a week and was told not to be a baby by the nurse. I did not have any idea how the IUD functioned and because it was a new product no one else I knew did either.  Remember there was no Internet then! But there was really no reason to be concerned, if one is totally ignorant of something. 



At the time Roe vs Wade was a big issue and I had been involved in it quite heavily. This subject is still a hot spot and I do not judge. I only can be mindful of my own convictions - no one else.  And if I would have known that the IUD cast off the fertilized egg, I would have chosen another route. 
But God is always with me and knows what is best for me, even when I am blind. Three months after the birth of my second daughter, I started getting sick. The doctor had told me if the IUD gets misplaced I could have the symptoms of pregnancy. So with my mother, I went to the doctors to see if it had moved. I remember lying on the table when the doctor said "no, it is still in place" and how relieved I was for fear of more pain but then came the words I wasn't expecting... "but your pregnant".  I started to cry. 
This was too much for a naive twenty year old. When I got into the car still crying, my wise mother looked at me and said, "you have two choices. You can cry and feel sorry for yourself and make this hard on you and the baby or you can accept this right now and thank God for this pregnancy."  I chose the latter.
I had a normal pregnancy even with selling the house moving to a farm that eventually was condemned and moving again, just before baby was to be born. During this time my husband had been laid off work so money was tight. We had gotten a small apartment and he was called back to work but we had lost everything to a swindled deal with the farm (which is a story in itself).
We were going to my father's charismatic nondenominational church called Compassion Christian Center. In that church there were visiting ministers and prophets that would speak. At one of these meetings one of the evangelists called me to him and told me the Lord had laid me on his heart and that the Lord said, the child I was carrying was a boy and that the Lord had his hand on him and was going to use him in a mighty way. 
This was before ultrasounds... I took this from the Lord and planned on a boy. 



At full term I went into the hospital to have my third child.
James Gustav was born without complications and was a strong healthy 7 pound boy. They took him away and started working on me, no IUD was found. It was to be in the afterbirth, the doctor said I needed a D&C,  so I signed the papers and off to surgery I went... only to awake with pain I can't describe. Abdominal surgery was required as the IUD had perforated the uterus while I was pregnant and as it swelled the IUD went through into my intestines and embedded there. 
The IUD had been inserted wrong, into the cervix and hadn't been affective, therefore my pregnancy. It never worked, I was so relieved! 



Now as I was coming to my senses from surgery there was a commotion on the floor, there were other doctors at the desk asking to see the "miracle baby".  Miracle baby?  Doctor's usually don't use that term. My doctor came in that evening and was excited, they had every doctor on the floor examining James and they have never seen a healthier baby... his muscle tone, his lungs... he went on to explain that carrying a full term baby under those conditions, was close to impossible. And to have such a healthy child was even more amazing... oh and by the way, we took out your appendix while we were in there, it was twice it's size and inflamed.
OK...








I went on to have 3 more lovely girls in time. But only one son, my only son. Not that I love him anymore than my lovelies but I thank God, for He has carried all my burdens and watched over me in my ignorance and has blessed me so... that I am Overwhelmed and Over Shadowed by His Mighty Love.



 Sarah



Nicole




Kerri and Jody



Jennifer

This has gotten to be a longer post than I planned, so I will be posting this week on a give back.
 I have reached 1000 followers and have some gifts I would like to give. Come back!
Blessings All
Rebecca

31 comments:

  1. So comforting to know Our Lord is wiser and has us in his hands. Your love for your son is shining through this post. He is a miracle, so much could have gone wrong in your pregnancy with that IUD misplaced as it was. You could have gone into septic shock. hugs, olive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story...thanks for sharing, GOD is so good!!!

    Smiles & Blessings,
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many wonderful things here, Rebecca! Love hearing how the prophet spoke to you, and knowing God's good plans. Your kids are all so beautiful. Comes from their momma!! Lots of love and hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a miraculous testimony to the power of God's grace and power! His will be done in our lives each day is my prayer. He always knows what's best for us, if we only trust and believe.
    To God be the glory!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.K..... all I can say is W♥W!!!
    What an AMAZING story of L♥ve and Grace.......thank you so much for sharing. Its good to shed happy tears sometimes....LOL

    blessings,
    Cindy♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled though this whole post. I just knew it was a happy one. Your kids are beautiful, oh...... and handsome.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness...where are my tissues? brought me to tears it did! just SO beautiful...SO beautiful! Happy birthday to your little miracle.....your beautiful & handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God that He saved your only son's life. What a wonderful gift and treasure! Thank you for sharing this story. Your children are gorgeous people...what a proud momma you are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I am in tears. What a wonderful and truly blessed story. You have made my night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful family~ wonderful story.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful family you have and I read this with tears in my eyes...oh..but for the grace of God. What a wonderful, blessing your son has been...from the moment of conception on. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful story! You have been blessed with such a beautiful family. God is so good! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm sure your story will bless a lot of people. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  13. R.E.,
    I'm standing with hands reached upwards praising His name while smiling through the tears. What a witness to His faithfulness...and yours. Never could a work of fiction have this kind of impact...never. I have chillbumps at the thoughts of what could have been and what was.
    I'm willing to bet a dollar to a donut, he's not just the apple of your eye, but of his sisters' too.
    Finally one last thing...good grief, but y'all are a beautiful family. I can see you in each and every one of their gorgeous faces! You truly are blessed darlin'.
    XOXO
    Debbie
    P.S. I'll thinking of you, but missing you next week.
    P.P.S. It's amazing how much our lives and thoughts seem to run in tandem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow....PRAISE THE HOLY NAME OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST for His Goodness and Mercy!!!He has had His Hand on You and He has BLESSED YOU BEYOND Blessings!
    Happy Birthday to your ONLY Son! I also have an only son, and love him dearly!!! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a lucky woman indeed. It brought tears to my eyes...a lovely, blessed story. Wonderful...your children are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. People often wonder what Grace is...I think you just told the perfect story. You have been surrounded by Grace. Love the baby pics. You have such a beautiful family...praise God.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an awesome, passionate, and touching post this has been to read. Oh God's Grace...His Mercy...His unfailing love for us! What a blessing indeed you are to your children and your children to you! Your girls are beautiful and your son is one good looking man there! Thanks for sharing your family today and your heart. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rebecca I enjoyed reading your God story about the birth of your son. As I was reading your story God reminded me of the promise given when I was having problems with my 2nd pregnancy. He assured me the child would be fine and would be used mightily in His kingdom. He didn't tell me what the sex was and we were wanting a girl since our first was a boy. Well David came into this world healthy and I am looking forward to the promise of HIm being used in the Kingdom of God as he is not walking in the way right now.
    Your post reminded me of that promise given 28 years ago.

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. With all those pretty girls, isn't it nice to have one handsome boy?? You are blessed Rebecca. Thinking of you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dearest Rebecca, what a miracle story- yes you are blessed dear friend- and also blessed with "kids" so beautiful looking all, -a wonderful and lovely family- a family of love, wit a wonderful mother.
    Hugs and love from me-
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have a beautiful family!
    I so enjoyed reading this story this morning, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love hearing your life stories Rebecca. You have a beautiful family. I bet that son of yours is a good man, having been raised around all those ladies!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  23. He is a handsome thing is he not? I am so glad that that the Lord has more insight into what He has planned for you and so grateful for the miracles that occur to get us to where He has planned for us to be all along!
    Happy birthday to James the cutie!
    hugs from here and see you tomorrow!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love big families! God is so faithful isn't He!!!

    we have 6 blessings! my only regret - that I do not have more :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post has richly blessed me! I became a young mom too and what a blessing that sweet gem has been for me.

    May your family dwell in His love and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a wonderful, wonderful story! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this story, thank you for posting and your family is beautiful!'
    Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  28. It was a blessing to me to read about your son and the rest of your lovely family. Having six children has been an amazing blessing but I was determined to have no more than 2 when I was in my teens. God knows more about what is best than we do and I am glad about that.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am brand new to your blog, first visit. I was so shocked to here your story! The same thing happened to me also, and I had a boy who now is a strong man serving The Lord!!
    I will be back for more visits and I am following along!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful story and you have such a beautiful and loving family. You are blessed for sure.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful story! I, too, had an IUD and wasn't told how it worked until I lost the baby I was carrying while it was still implanted. I love how God works - He loves to do miracles and surprise even the doctors!
    ~Adrienne~

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.