HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Nesting...

Hello
I woke up this morning with frost on the pumpkin... and on all my urns, morning glories and tomatoes not to mention ice in the fountain. Cold weather has come early to the Midwest. I hate saying goodbye to all my flowers. 
I am still hoping for an Indian Summer...
With the colder temps my nesting tendencies kick in and I turn towards the home. Projects I have put aside to be outside in the sunshine. 
I started painting the family room and got as far as all the woodwork and put it on hold to work in the yard.

 I spent most of the summer playing catch up in the yard, years of neglect will keep me busy for a few summers. I so enjoy it.


See all that ground cover, it has taken over my entire yard!


Hard on the back, cutting and hacking away. I even found an old cement statue that got tipped over and swallowed up in the Euonymus!
Forgot I even had it...



One of my highlights this summer was seeing Fifi Oneil and
 Mark Lohman again. 
They were here shooting for her new book coming out soon 
Prairie Style Weddings.



I loved having some girl time with Fifi, chatting and 
getting to know her... such a lovely lady. 
Thank you Fifi for this wonderful post...


Back to the family room...


I still haven't come to a decision on the shade of gray/brown I want, but with Thanksgiving fast approaching (although it is late this year) I will need to finish it. My family comes here for Thanksgiving and we fill this old house to the brim.
Since we are not here for Christmas, I like it festive for them.


I am not fond of either of these, I think the middle shade with a little more brown in it. I like warm colors and this room gets a lot of light.
Right now I have another project in this room and that's a large painting. I was hoping to bring it to Tn but time got away from me. It turned out for the best as I wouldn't have had room anyway.


It is a 6 foot canvas... in acrylic and oil.
(there is blue tape around the outside to protect the wood)


It is a large wing sculpted in artist clay. It is based on Psalm 91.
These verses are near and dear to my heart and has become very real to me in times past. I did a post on it in
my other blog here

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be they shield and buckler.

The painting is in its early stages and still evolving. I will keep you posted on its progress.

Nesting always involves baking for me...


With fall and now feeling a bit of winter in the air, I even feel like cooking... or at least baking. 
Last night I decided to make my grandmother's apple cake, a must for fall baking. It is wonderful...


I threw in a few more apples because I chopped more than needed so baking time was longer.




What makes this cake so delicious is the caramel topping. 




My grandmother poked holes in the cake and poured the caramel over the cake. I prefer to pour it warm over each piece.
Topped with whipped cream or ice cream will do in a pinch.


Leaving you with my grandmothers recipe topped with love and whipped cream... for me they are one of the same.


Blessings
Rebecca
PS... I decided there was enough white in this post to link up to TimeWashed
Thank you... 

15 comments:

  1. Rebecca- Your post makes nesting look wonderful. I, too, am dreading this onset of early winter temperatures. It is only 38 outside my window right now and even colder with the windchill off the bay.
    Fifi is just a wonderful person from every word I read from you and other bloggers. What a pleasure to get to spend some time with her.
    Blessings to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the greys with brown too. And on walls i like it lin a light shade. Grey with brown is warm so i can see that in your living room. I have been baking too! Thanksgiving is our big gathering day at our cottage too. Christmas is more low key and in the furure we see ourselves in our vintage travel trailer on the coast in winters calm and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love seeing pics of your gorgeous home and gardens R!!! I am with you on a warmer grey (in fact I am having a hard time warming up to greys at all) which is weird since most of the walls in this house are bright white. Because of where I live with the long winters here, the more light the better. I know whatever you grey you go with it will be beautiful because that's just how you roll sweetpea!
    I am so glad you got to have some time with Fifi too. She is such a doll!!!!! I cannot wait to make your grandmother's cake Rebecca. It sounds so delicious and I think my favorite scent in the fall is baking apples. It makes me want to curl up in a little ball and hibernate or snuggle with Dale on the sofa and watch a really great movie.
    Gosh how I have missed you!
    love, love, love from here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post. Always a pleasure to peek into your gorgeous home. Can't wait to see which color you chose.
    I'm taking down your Grandma's Apple Cake recipe, can't wait to give it a try.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. That apple cake looks so delicious I could almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebecca, you make cozy artically peaceful....I had the sheer joy of Fifi and Make sharing there love and talent at my home over a year ago, and then again in Santa Barbara Ca. For her wedding style shoot. I adore Fifi she is such a hard working
    The painting looks great hanging in Fifi gi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rebecca. I found you by way of Pinterest (apple cake recipe). Pertaining to your living room wall color, try Sherwin Williams 7024, Functional Gray. I recently looked for the perfect color (gray-brown), and this was the one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been a little under the weather since returning from RT and am just now venturing out to blogland. I think a slice of warm apple cake would have made me feel tons better!
    Over grown or not, I love your garden...and you.
    XO
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lean towards that same warmer color. and I LOVE the wing painting. That apple cake recipe is the same as mine, but being from Georgia and having two huge pecan trees in the yard, I substitute pecans for the walnuts and we use a cinnamon cream cheese frosting. I may have to try that caramel though. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your nesting has warmed my heart! The cake looks wonderful. I can almost smell it. I like that you show a beautifully handwritten recipe. Your new grey will be beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Rebecca, for taking time out of your gloomy day to visit me. I always love the darker days of fall and simple accents that add a little more grey to the days.
    I want to mention in your post you said you had to unearth the statue from if overgrowth of it ground coverings, and how beautiful the statue is. I really love the back side of your home nestled in all it's growth of mature age.
    As for visiting Fifi I could see that some of my comment got cut off I am almost certain I wrote that the painting you did of the lambs that Fifi chose is so awwww, inspiring....it's gentleness suites fifi's home perfectly she can Shepard over it :)

    I will be excited to see what comes of this 6"ft canvas of yours as for the grey's and whites it starting out with tones I so love around my home.

    Well my friend, take comfort in knowing God has given you the gift of creating beauty with those hands.

    See you soon.
    Xx
    Doré

    Pas. I am off to catch up on some of your older postings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your garden and your family room, can't wait to see it in person.

    I doing away with my grey walls, I've never really felt real comfortable with them and the rooms always seem dark. Soon as I can get some things wrapped up I'm going back to light walls.

    I can almost smell that cake.

    Love ya!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing what you've been up to. Making things beautiful as usual. Your family is in for a major treat. Now I must make that apple cake recipe. Yum!
    Blessings,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Rebecca I so love your beautiful garden paradise! Now that must have been a great surprise to refind a cement statue hidden under the euonymous. I now how much work it is and heavy on the back because I have that same problem with ivy. It is taken over all my yard plants, pots and walls and fences and is even creeping down my outside cellar steps, althouhg I'm trying hard to keep it at bay lol
    I wish you happy fall days!
    xoxo~ Carola

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your home and garden are so lovely. I especially love the architectural remnants on both sides of your family room doorway. SO PRETTY!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.