HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Friday, November 22, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving


Hello
I want to thank Karen at Valentine Designs for setting up my new blog look, she is patient, kind, talented and fast. If you are looking to redo your blog or just want a lift, I know you will be well pleased with Karen's work.
Is everyone working on Christmas projects? I am in the studio much of the time now, don't you just love this time of year? I have the Christmas music on, the sewing machine is whirling and all my white wool is everywhere!


 No flat surface is exposed this time of year.  




I have my etsy shop open and I will be adding new things after Thanksgiving because I am doing a show Thanksgiving weekend. 


My new buttons at the top can take you to my etsy shop or to my other blog or to my art... cool huh?
I need to do some work still on the buttons.


I am excited to have all my children and their families home for Thanksgiving. 


It is a good time even though I have to cook. I am not real fond of that dinner... so many side dishes to juggle and trying to keep everything hot from kitchen to dining room table. We have two vegetarians/gluten free, so we need to cater to them also.
We have the traditional 22# bird with dressing and yes, I put it inside the bird... it keeps the bird moist and adds flavor. I also have it on the side because our crew numbers around 25 and everyone loves dressing. When I take it out of the bird I mix it with the other dressing and that way it adds flavor. I also brown the giblets and put them in the side dressing for flavor but take them out when done and put them to the side for who ever wants them. (not me!)
There are so many good recipes out there for dressing  but I am afraid if I deviated from my mothers recipe I would have a mutiny on my hands. Once 10 years ago I took corn out of the menu and I still hear about it. 


The dressing is pretty easy and basic. I brown a couple of pounds of ground beef with onion, celery and seasoning. I use the whole sage, it isn't as potent as ground so I throw in the whole bottle. After the mixture is done I melt in a stick or more of butter and mix it with a large package of unseasoned bread cubes. If it doesn't seem moist enough I add a little water to the pan and then pour it into the dressing. I then stuff the bird after I wash it and remove any pin feathers, rub it with salt and then butter. I use a cooking bag, it really cuts down on the cooking time.


Thanksgiving menu is turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, sweet potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, fruit salad, red cabbage and corn souffle... Not to mention the cranberries and cranberry orange relish and pie for dessert.
Is that close to your menu?


I am so thankful that we will all be together this year, every year we are together I feel more blessed then the year before. I have so much to be thankful for I can't begin to make a list but number one would be my Lord who loves and cares for my family whether we are together or a part. There is a peace in life when you trust that all things come together for good, it is then that you can give thanks in all things.


Blessings to your house from ours this Thanksgiving,
Rebecca

9 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a delicious menu planned, Rebecca! My daughter has been hosting the past two and this year will be her third, since we all moved to Ohio and she got her own house. Not that I have nothing to do! I'm making clam dip, stuffed mushrooms, coconut cream pie {gluten free so I can eat it too} and pumpkin pie {using a gluten free pie crust, again, so I can have some, too}. Since we have to eat early on Thanksgiving Day, I will have to have everything prepared the day before.

    I've been sewing, sewing, sewing, too! I love it! I am always so gratified to see how some fabric and a few pretty trims can turn into something, whether it is a pillow, a stocking or a tote. I'm switching it up every week and next week I'm doing tea towels. I've got a Dickens Festival gift shop to contribute to and I want to have a good mix of items.

    Happy Thanksgiving if I don't "see" you before! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca, I love your new look...but I also like the old.:):) Thanksgiving is a wonderful family time, or should be. My daughters and I have the things we always make. Blessings for a great week filled with love, good food and lots of hugs. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new blog look is beautiful, Rebecca. I love the soft colours of your decor. Happy Thanksgiving to you next week! Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new blog look is so clean and beautiful dear Rebecca, gives piece to visit here!
    And that menu sounds wonderful,- you know we don`t celebrate Thanksgiwing in Denmark- , but I think it is a wonderful idea ,doing it. Your table is the most beautiful setting with the clochès on the plates ,I wish I could see what you have under them :-) and I love your spool trees and pumpkins , a most lovely post in a new beautiful "frame" Blessings to you and your family ,too, dearest friend .
    Dorthe , with hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We haven't had turkey for years...we roast organic chickens. We are having spiral ham too, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetarian stuffing(made from scratch all the way down to dicing my own french bread instead of store bought crumbs), green beans, sweet potato bake, and a huge green leafy salad from our organic garden. We have vegetarians too (me included almost- I still eat chicken and some fish). I love to cook everything homemade but I am with you on trying to get it all served hot! I am always worn out by the time I sit down no matter how hard I try not to be. Its a wonderful family gathering and our favorite of the year. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours and your blog is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rebecca,
    Your blog is looking very special and really suits your style …… a perfect make-over { even though it was beautiful before !! }
    Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving …. enjoy that special time when you can all be together. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are gorgeous! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how Wonderful that your entire Family can be together for the Holidays! I don't think we've been able to pull that off for too many years now and it is such a Blessing when you can all get together for a meal and especially during the Holidays. And your meal description is making my mouth water GF! I'm salivating all over my keyboard! *LOL* And Karen did a Lovely job of Designing your Blog Space, she is such a Sweetie and so Talented!

    Happy Thanksgiving... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds yummy, Rebecca. So nice to have all the family around.
    May you have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.