HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Monday, September 7, 2015

Labor of Love

Labor Day 2015


Hello... and happy labor day, today we celebrate rest. Most of us need it. I hope you are taking this day to eat, play and refresh yourselves with family and friends.

I have taken a long rest from this blog, much longer than I intended, like so many Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, etc, has lured us away from our once beloved blog. I applaud those who have stayed faithful. 

Labor day marks the end of summer and the beginning of a new season. I forge forward into this new season with expectations of a better one. The summer winds brought about much change and sadness for our family. My loving husband went to be with his savior unexpectedly and quickly in June.  I praise God he did not suffer and the Lord honored Keith by taking him sweetly just as the man he was. He died of a heart attack, as we sat on our patio talking over the days events... one of his last words were, 
"this is a perfect day".
Keith was a man of integrity and grace, he honored me with praise and encouragement. He was always my launching pad, whatever hair brained scheme I hatched he was always there to encourage and finance... even though many times it was at a loss for him. We were married in 1990 and he loved me and embraced my 6 children as though they were his. He was a gift from God and he restored our family. Never being married before and coming from a family of 3 boys he forged new territory with 5 daughters and a son. He handled those early days with much laughter and amusement by shaking his head and saying, "girls are just so weird".  Eventually he got the hang of it and became Grandpa to eight loving grandchildren and they became the light of his life.
 He lived life well and I hope never to forget the ring of his laughter in the air. 
I did not intend this post to be a eulogy for my husband but I did want to tell you how I was so blessed and continue to be. 








I am working past the grief and now I am trying to carve out a new life and routine with myself. It is strange how everything seems different, the house is larger, the street is lonelier, my sitting chair no longer makes sense and the kitchen table has ceased to serve up food. The familiar is gone, what I once did depended on another from what I ate, to where I sat, to when I came home. For the very first time in my life I have no one else to consider. And yet...
It is well with my soul. 
I lean on my first love, my kinsman redeemer, my friend, my husband, my savior, my king. This labor day I reminded of the verse in Hebrews... There remains therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into His rest, He also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest...
There is sometimes a struggle or labor to rest in God, these days I chose to trust and rest in His peace that passes all understanding. 
I trust Him... and as I do He shows Himself strong. There is in me a  strong hope and expectation of a new day, a new adventure that God has for me...
Wishing you a most blessed labor day.
Blessings
Rebecca



23 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness what a loving post that was, thank you so much for sharing at this time of deep loss. He seemed like a smashing person and one that anyone would have loved meeting. To take on a whole family not having had children himself is a real labour of love, and he surely had that for you and your children.. How awful to be sitting with him when it happened, but as you said, it was quick and hopefully not painful. I know that your faith will help enormously, but never having met you or seen your blog before this evening just wanted you to know that someone out here is thinking of you and your family and that wonderful man that you loved... hugs from across the pond..J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca- I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Life certainly has a way of throwing curves at us, doesn't it? We lost a good friend just like that in June, too. Here one moment-gone the next with a massive heart attack. God took him quickly, too, because he would not have wanted to be "taken care of". I hope the next few months settle you into a new "normal". You are strong in your faith and that will support you, I know. God bless---xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. I have no words but I share you grief. I know your pain and I know there is no quick recovery...no returning to a normal way of life. It is new and strange. Prayers for you! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rebecca ……. I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Nothing that I say will help but how lovely that he gained such a wonderful family when he married you and what beautiful photographs. All that I can say is that you were very lucky to have had him in your life and you must have so many wonderful memories to help you through the coming months. Sending love from the UK and thinking of you. Much love to you and your family. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully written- sweet friend----I have been thinking about you many times this summer--- remembering the walk- of losing my first husband at age 24- it realigns EVERYTHING- so good to see you back here- in the familiar but unfamiliar---may you take your time, deep breathe, and see light on each step as you walk this new path

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost my husband 2 years ago. Actually I lost him twice as for the last 6 years of his life he had frontal lobe dementia and he would disappear from me over those years. Then he slipped into a coma one day and died 6 days later. He had been my soul mate for 37 years. He was kind, considerate, funny, intelligent, had an amazing laugh and sparkling eyes. I adored him and he was kind to me and everyone in his life. It was hard to watch him first disabled by medical illnesses and then to have him slip away with the dementia. I treasure and remember the many wonderful times we shared together. I know he watches over me. Yes, some days are difficult but my memories are my treasures. Bless you during the difficult times and keep him close in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was happy to see you pop up this evening, as I was thinking of you yesterday and wondered how you and Donna were doing. Although I am alone for a different reason, I can absolutely identify with those feelings of change you are experiencing. It makes the days spent with our friends and children even more special, and we just have to trust that we will make our way as intended.

    I am still poking along here on the blog, a tiny bit of IG and almost nothing on FB which I really do not like because I oppose their privacy policies. I will never tweet and rarely even text except with those pals who ONLY text... It's a different world and I keep trying to stay simple..

    Good to see you <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Rebecca,
    You have my deepest, most heartfelt sympathy, sweetie. I have been married to my hubby for 36 years, and have had him in my life since 6th grade. I can't begin to imagine life without him, though, like you, the Lord is my Rock, my safe place, my refuge, and I know with Him, I can still have peace, rest, joy and fulfillment in spite of what life brings. Both of my parents passed within a few months of each other in 2004, and He was my strength and portion. So glad that we are His!

    You post is so lovely, and is just full of His grace. Your hubby sounds like such a wonderful man. I am so glad you and your children and grandies had the blessing of his love. What a gift from God.

    I will be praying for you, and trusting that the Lord will bathe you in His love, comfort, and peace, Rebecca.

    Gentle blessings and love,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for your loss. I had wondered why you were not blogging. I wish you peace as you continue on with life in a new way. Alaina

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful loving tribute to your husband! Many blessings of peace and grace to you as you learn your new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful loving tribute to your husband! Many blessings of peace and grace to you as you learn your new normal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Rebecca, I was so excited to see that you had posted......and could hardly wait to catch up......but I am so sad to hear you heartbreaking news of your husband's passing. You shared so beautifully and I know he was a wonderful, loving husband and father in your family..........you will miss him beyond words. I will be praying for you all as you adjust to a new way of living...........surely not an easy path......I have a friend walking through the same thing in the same time frame. Please know you are a gift to this world and we have all missed hearing from you and love you. I pray in time, you will find a new joy in creating and the path the Lord has for you. Blessings, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Rebecca,
    Such a loos, for you and your children, and grands, I know it must be so hard on you every single day, -but you try to see the light and find piece and meaning with your new life, which makes you strong, dearest friend.
    I wish you all the best Rebecca, and know the Lord will help you through this sadness of yours !
    Love from Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband. My heart breaks for you this morning as I read this. Praise the Lord for His hand of mercy that was upon your husband and that he did not suffer. God is so GOOD to us. I am asking our Lord right now to cover you with Himself and to lead, guide and direct Rebecca. May our Lord's light shine so brightly in the testimony that your husband has left behind. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing man you were blessed with Rebecca. Praying for you and your new normal. God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful testimony--not only of the love for your husband but of the Love and trust you have for our God..Isaiah 26:3 was shown on a show I was watching that had music and scripture with it and I thought--this is what Rebecca has--sweet peace because of her trust in our faithful Lord...comfort and hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete
  17. offering up lots of hugs and prayers.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You were blessed. Praying that the memories, God's love, family and friends will help your broken heart.
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rebecca, I cannot begin to express how terribly sorry I am to hear of your loss. I pray for your strength to get you through this sad time. You have a beautiful family and I know that they, along with God's grace, will help to heal your sadness. Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Beautiful expression of your love for your deceased husband. May God continually bless you with peace and direction as you make your way into the future!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Rebecca, my heart breaks for you. May God continue to ease your grief and bless you and your family in your transition. Your faith is strong, I am so glad of that.

    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am sorry for the early separation of you and your husband due to his early unexpected death. As believers we know that we will one day soon be in the presence of God and then you will see your husband again. But during that time your heart will yearn for him as you go through your healing journey on earth. You are a beautiful and talented woman with a beautiful blog that touches the lives of others and for that I thank you. Take all the time you need to heal being absent or present with your blog. No apology necessary for not being here during this time of grief or even after some healing has come. Blog only as you feel comfortable with-you owe us nothing. You have already given and shared much beauty here and if and when the time is right you know your followers will be happy to hear from you again. Take care sweet lady and just let you heart and life voids be filled with love from Abba Father.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.