HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Loser Challenge # 1





Yes! We made it through 2 weeks and now we get to post how much we have lost! Please link up and post your loss on your blog. Whoever lost the most in the past 2 weeks will receive the pearl necklace. Remember to visit everyone and encourage them on!




Just as the pearl is transformed into a beautiful gem by challenging circumstances, so are you.
  
My past eating experience has been to hurry and get it over with, I do not like to take the time to eat. So under the clock I would grab something quick and maybe not so healthy. 


I have been thinking about the pure act of eating... let's just think about it for one moment. It is like anything else we do, sometimes we go through the motions and forget about the joy it once brought us. 
Let's just step back and imagine if you could not experience the act of eating again. Of course the first and obvious is that you would die because it is our sustenance, it is our life. But let us take it one step further and think about the act itself, how amazing our body is that we can take something beautiful and become apart of that beauty within us. To experience the beauty of food to the fullest.


 First to appreciate the beauty with our eyes... imagine a perfect peach tree in a beautiful garden, all our senses are alive and we walk through this garden with the fresh breeze that we can feel and smell. We take the peach from the tree and see the beauty of it, our eyes bring appreciation and anticipation, as we bring the peach to our mouth we smell the sweet fragrance of the peach and bite into the sweetness of the fruit. As the flavor of the fruit bursts into an explosion of flavor in our mouth, we then crush the fruit and the taste of it becomes even more intense... and then the most amazing miracle happens, as we take it into our body it nourishes our cells and becomes the very essence of who we are on a molecular level. 




We have the ability to become one with such beauty. 

The very act of eating can be such a sacred act, it is included in so many ceremonies as a symbol of who we are. Christ himself is called "The Bread of Life". We partake of Him in communion, it is a symbolic act of taking Him into our bodies and becoming a part of Him and becoming Christ like. We are what we partake. What we put into our bodies through our senses we become. It not only is scriptural it is a scientific fact. What we watch, what we see, what we say, what we eat influences our thoughts and what a man thinketh, so shall he be. I have always guarded my heart on what I watch on television and movies and it is now time to bring that into my eating and appreciate the miracle of it. 
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusteth in Him...  Ps 34:8

The French journalist who was so influential in Elle magazine had everything you can imagine, living the world of high fashion in France. Jean Dominque Bauby, was struck with Locked In Syndrome, it is a paralysis that strikes and you can move nothing. Jean Dominque could move only one eye lid and with that one eye, he wrote a book called, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, blinking  out the letters.  In that book he talks about the pleasures of life... a kiss on the cheek, which he could no longer feel, or the summer breeze on his face, the taste of food on his tongue. All his riches and yet it was the simple things of life he missed most. He died shortly after finishing his book. 
Today I am appreciating the simply pleasures of life, today I am experiencing the shear joy of eating an apple and appreciating the  miracle of eating it. Today I rejoice in the small things, and I am thankful for all that I have and all that I am able to do. 
Blessings
Rebecca




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So well put. Taking the time to apppreciate the simple things and the ability to experience them is so often taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dearest Rebecca,-
    it is only some few weeks ago, I heard the story about Jean Dominque Bauby, in the danish radio-and how he against all odds,with the blink of his eye ,and the help of a woman-wrote the book---
    yes sweetheart we surely should be enjoying all daily life ,little pleasures-like eating- smelling-tasting- and I try to remember to do it ,every day.
    I can`t wait to see,whom wins your beautiful necklace.
    I wish you a lovely thursday- Rebecca.
    Hugs-Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes wonder if God places the same thoughts in people minds simultaneously, I've been having the same things roll through mine. To be able to enjoy what nature provides and not a drive-thru is a new goal for me....eating to live...not living to eat.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed reading your post today. I am participating in your challenge and will write a post as soon as I can about what has been happening with my efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca- SO Sorry it took a few days for me to get my post up..with the Tag Sale this weekend it's been very hectic! I did OK for the first two weeks on the challenge...I'm aiming for 3 lbs a weeks so I didn't quite make that but I'm adding more exercise to my day...I gotta move more!!! I love that I have someone there to listen and support me!
    Hope you are having a good week!
    Tammy :-)
    JUNK WILD

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad passed away about a year and a half ago and before he passed away he had lost the ability to chew, swallow and taste, he used to watch the cooking channel religiously. He said "If you want to know that God exists just take a bite of your favorite food, there is no reason for us to have taste buds, being able to taste something is a gift from GOD. Savor your next bite." I try to remember that and not just shovel the food in with no regard to what I'm putting in my mouth. It's hard sometimes when you are used to doing it your whole life.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.