HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Choose What Is Better...

Hello
Yes, I am still here. 
It has been hectic since I got home from Texas and then Minnesota. I managed to have a wonderful Thanksgiving with the help of my children and then my daughter Jody came the following week and we did the vintage flea market. This week I have been putting up decorations around the house and trying to get my Christmas etsy shop open.






It turned out to be a good show even though attendance seemed to be down. 
I had been so busy with trying to make Christmas items for the show and etsy that my house has been neglected. 
So this week I have been frantically trying to get some shopping done and getting the tree trimmed and decorating the outside of the house while it was fairly warm and...
and then I stopped.
I was stressing myself out doing the things I normally love to do and what normally brings me peace. I was putting a time limit on myself and a lot of should(S). I should have had the decorating done, I should start baking, I should...
STOP 
"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"
"Martha, Martha, "the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her". 
Luke 10:38

STOP and choose what is better.
This time of year we are all "Martha's", we put so much on our to do list that we have neglected to choose what is better. 
The dinners will be consumed, the presents will be opened and the tree will end up on the curb... it will all be taken away but what you put in your heart will stay. Taking a moment each day to sit at the feet of Jesus will restore your spirit and give you the love that is needed for those family get together's and those pushy shoppers. 
It will sustain you throughout the year. 
Putting God first is all we are called to do. 
It is the "one thing" in life. 
So simple yet so hard sometimes. We are simply to love Him, it only takes a moment in the day to sit and talk to God... 
a simple I love you is what He longs to hear from you.
Jesus said, the highest calling in your life is to "Love the Lord God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind". Matt. 22:37
And in the midst of this busy season take time for what you love also, whether that be a walk in fresh fallen snow or a cup of your favorite eggnog... take time for yourself. It will give you the strength for others.
I will go follow my own advice now and play in the studio...
speaking of studio, this is what I have been working on.










please take a look. Sales there are helping to buy Christmas presents for children on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. 
Thank you so much.


Blessings
Rebecca

18 comments:

  1. Oh sweet Rebecca, thank you for this post...I needed it. I have felt stressed at times. I just have to let it go. I just bought one of my sisters' a cup, it says on it,"I'll do my best, and leave the rest to God." Maybe I need this cup.LOL Enjoy your weekend,xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful post Rebecca. And I am one who needed to hear it as I've been doing and doing and finally just stopped. I feel much better now that I've stopped with the pressure that comes with this season. God bless you with a beautiful Christmas with those you love. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sweet Rebecca, I think we are all "guilty" in thinking all the :we have to, and we should--- not dwelling at the real importent things in life.I feel it is very difficult to make up with that,- but try,- knowing though that I am far behind in learning!!
    Hugs ans love,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca- What a good post- It is so easy to get stressed out this time of year and just overwhelmed by all there is to do. My hubby is pushing me to have a big Holiday party and I am just too swamped to want to do it...and then, of course, I feel guilty for NOT doing it. God bless you with this wonderful message here- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not even wanted to prepare for Christmas this year.
    This is my first year without my husband after 36 years of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very wise ... hope things even out for you and that you will have a serene Chirstmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Rebecca, you said it sister, we need to put God first and do what will stay in our hearts. Have a very Merry Christmas with your family. God Bless.

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when He puts you in my mind to read my thoughts. I've been trying not to slip into "Martha" mode for the past couple of weeks.Some days I fail miserable...others I succeed. At the end of the day, my success days give me a sounder sleep than the "gotta get it all done" ones.
    Love you,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well said...well illustrated...well received on my end :))). This scripture changed my life several years ago...my happiness has increased tenfold from following its sage advice. Finding it here was a gentle reminder...thank you!
    Warmly,
    Tracey
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad I started early this year so I could do just little bits here and there every day or so. Of course that crazy organized garage system helps cut down the madness also. Working full time this year has also caused some chaos but I wIll take your words to heart and relish all the goodness <3
    Blessings to you and your loved ones.
    much love
    z

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for this post! I have been turning myself in circles trying to decorate my house for the holidays when I finally came to the realization that in the grand scheme of things the decor is really not what matters. It's hard when you see so many beautiful blogs so fully decked out for the season, but for me personally I feel like less is more on the decor front and it is better to spend time with family, enjoying the time of year.

    Merry Christmas Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything you have made is so pretty! I so agree with taking time to enjoy the season--it isn't all about the decorating and shopping, though that part is fun too. I want to see more of your fireplace! My heart stopped when I saw that large wing on your mantle. I so want one of those! It looks awesome. Throughly enjoyed your post :) Enjoy the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rebecca, I am so a "Martha" and Jesus says to me many time, "Bonnie, Bonnie..." I am learning to find that which is most needed-time at His feet. Thanks for the reminding. When I saw your title on my blog roll, I knew this one was for me. I have started a new job in a neighboring city and I'm totally overwhelmed and frustrated and with time away from home, there is so little time for the "most needed."

    BTW, love your creations. The mantle is lovely.

    My blog today is about the Greatest Gift of All. Just needed the reminder today! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Rebecca, your post has been the "message" I have been hearing and receiving these past couple of weeks. So needed to hear. Love your blog...Merry Christmas to you and yours. Karen on Cape Cod

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your heart and art here. It's always a blessing when I stop by
    T

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried to email you but it would work for some reason. Just wanting to say thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving that encouraging message. I've stepped back and its a new day. Blessings to you and thanks again.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to have you back. Your holiday decorating is gorgeous as always. Thanks so much for sharing the word. We really do need to pause and take stock of what really is important. I plan to do just that, still away and spend some quiet time focusing on the reason for the season.
    Big hugs and happy holidays!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply Beautiful Rebecca! Love your Collages, and dyed ribbons!

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.