HOME ART The Love of God Shop Studio

Saturday, December 31, 2011

This New Year... This New Beginning



Happy 2012





This is a brand new year... 
the world celebrates and we all get a new start. We make new years resolutions with expected success and are often disillusioned  by February. No matter how disciplined we are, we have honed habits that are sometimes too hard to change and then we are doomed for self condemnation.   And if you happen to be like me, discipline is just not in my make up. So before I even start I fail. Oh, I strive for discipline... focus... routine...
but if you know me, you are laughing right now.



This year, (if you have read my prior post) has been anything but disciplined and for the last few months I have been struggling with myself.
 On discipline. 




I tend to be hard on myself. I am better now that I am older but self condemnation and guilt comes and creeps into my thoughts too easily. I have to keep guard and even then it sometimes rules my actions.
 Did you know that any condemnation is not of God for those that love Him? Romans 8:1



I like to move... I do not like to sit. That song from Madagascar is in my head... 
I like to move it, move it, move it.
 I like a good project, I like to put as many irons in the fire as I can fit and then juggle a few more in the air. Now, I do not do this intentionally but it just seems to be my lifestyle. 




I keep saying I am going to slow down and I do at times, usually when I am too tired to move or stressed. Stress is one of those foxes that rob... stress and worry is just plain lack of faith.  Stress and worry is the opposite of faith. Think about it. It is not only not trusting God that He will do what He says, it is hard on the body. It robs you of good health. When that occurs it is usually because of one thing. Me, not spending enough time with the Lord. Faith comes from hearing the word of God.




 And that brings me to what I have been struggling with. Just sitting and reading the word. At least that is how I think it "should be" now I have many many "shoulds". 
 I should be up in the attic praying... I should have a set time for scripture... I should start the day off by sitting and reading the bible instead of checking my email. I should have a certain day to do my laundry... I should cook more...  I should spend my time more wisely... 



Just like all those lists of  New Years Resolutions 
that are being made out this very minute.



Ok, you get the picture. When I don't do my "shoulds" after a time, a stubborn door slams shut in my brain and I rebel. It is self propelled, I now have no control at this point and I am struggling with a whole new problem. My rebellion. 
Rebellion turns into running... running away from God, running away from the problem. In my case I will have a million things to do so I won't do the thing I am struggling with.



For those of you who are new to my blog... I bare my soul now and then, but please bare with me.

Of course, during this time I always have an on going conversation with the Lord... sometimes it gets real needy. It goes something like this, "Ok, I am doing my best here...I just can't do it, you are going to have to do it. You do it Lord, I give it to you."
But all the while "I" am struggling with it.
The Lord is so good, because He will sit back let you chase your tail for only so long, usually until you get so tired, you now have to sit still and listen. Although in my case he talks to me on the go. 



This morning I had a revelation, 
not a new one or at least one that I hadn't heard before, I had head knowledge of it. You see when you go through times of struggle you are actually bringing what you know in your head and planting it into your heart. Once your heart gets a hold of it,  you will have peace.



This morning my heart heard
There is now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus.
Now, I have read the eighth chapter of Romans a hundred times and know it. This morning , the Lord showed me it wasn't the thing I wasn't doing that was hurting me, it was the "shoulds" or the self condemnation. If God doesn't condemn me then who am I to. The self loathing does not come from God. 
God waits for me and kisses my cheek and tells me I am his. He doesn't give us once a year to become new again, as the world tells us. 
He gives us every morning.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning.
Lamentations 3:22 



Every day is just like New Years Day... according to our creator.
Every morning is a clean slate.
Every morning there are new mercies to cover the "Shoulds" the falling short of what I think I should be or do.



So today this New Year day - this New Morning day,
I give you God's steadfast love - mercies and...



And my love.
Thank you for a year of friendship, inspiration, encouragement and support. 

Happy New Beginnings

Rebecca



32 comments:

  1. It's still New Year's Eve here .... Ann Voskamp has been writing on the theme of starting afresh each day. Have you been to her blog? Your post would fit right in with her Wednesday link list.... (it's http://www.aholyexperience.com/ .. I'm in the midst of reading her book right now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. R.E.
    It's not quite midnight here in Dallas and I'm praising God for this year and the days to come...how ever many He chooses to give me. I agree...instead of worrying about a whole year or even tomorrow, it's more important to think on now. Now is what we've been given and I am thankful for that.
    I'm going back now to look at your photos. I was so busy concentrating on your words, I kinda forgot to look. I do know I look a bit like the dress form...tattered but still standing!
    Happy New Year and may it be filled with blessings from above.
    XOXO
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post.
    Indeed....Happy NEW Year!
    And thank you for all the lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ,can I ever relate to you in every aspect. Thanks I really needed to here that verse and read your post. I struggle each and every day with the same things.Happy New years and may we each see beyond

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love that fresh clean slate of each new day to just bask in His tender mercies? We are so hard on ourselves sometimes. Thank you for sharing the wisdom of your revelation. I look forward to a new full year of enjoying your posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very Happy New year Rebecca. Looking forward to follow along and wish you the most wonderful year to come.
    Many Blessing
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Rebecca ~ What a beautiful post!!! Thank you so much for this on this first morning of 2012.

    May 2012 be filled with many blessings for you and your family.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words echo my feelings. I struggle with the shoulds daily. And you are right to write about it because not each day is a creative milestone. Letting go and letting God is a constant voice that I need to listen to, thank you for sharing with us. Di

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect post to start the new year.

    xo,

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  10. I start every morning saying this is a day the Lord has made, fresh and new, all is possible.

    Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year!!!

    xxoo
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said Rebecca. New beginnings every morning. What an awesome God we serve. My Pastor at church talked of this a few weeks ago. He said once we give it to God and asks for forgiveness, he does just that forgets. But us, we have memory..and it loves to rehash everything that "should" have been done and all we have done wrong. I pray this is a new wonderful year for us all. That we grow in our Lord and listen to Him. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, Insightful and inspired post. May your New Year be blessed as you bless others. from Marlynne mcreatesdaily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really needed to hear these words today. Thank you so much for this post!!!
    Michelle xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank-you, thank-you for this post. It is me to a T. I wish I could have it in hard copy to read often. Beautifully written....tears in my eyes...just took a breath without the weight of all I have to do and am "running" from! Bless You!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Rebecca how sweet your words are to me. Spoken from a true angel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Rebecca,
    What beautiful images and wonderfully wise words for 2012.
    I wish you a very Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year with much love from my family to yours.
    Here's to continued blogging friendship in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post.

    The only 'should' which hopefully becomes a desire of our heart more than a 'should', is that we be still in the loving presence of our Lord.
    Getting to know Him thru His word is an honor, not a have to, or should have.
    Great that His mercies are new every morning, and grabbing on to that brings much peace.

    Sweet blessings as your heat follows after His this coming year.

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have been in the word girlie! I am so grateful that the Lord brought you into my life! I look forward to this New Year and all the blessings He has in store.
    And yep, I was laughing~ I wasn't sure if you even knew there was a word such as discipline!
    blessings to you and your my sweet
    See ya soon!
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonder - this unchanging God. That He loves us. And lets us start new every day. And that He doesn't hold onto our shortcomings as longs as we do! Praising Him with you!! Blessings... Polly

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely lovely post...happy 2012 to you!
    melanie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post really touched me...so many of your thoughts, stresses, concerns, guilt, etc. are my exact feelings...thank you for sharing your inner most feelings. You opened my eyes...or God opened my eyes thru your words...Blessings, Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your such a treat Rebecca, so normal, so loveing, so honest. I thank God for each day when I wake, that I get another chance to get it right. Wonderful post, just wonderful.
    Happy New Year!
    Love
    Marcie
    The photos are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is beauty in everything when I come to your blog, from your words you write to every lovely photo. Happy New Year and thanks for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Rebecca,
    Just to say thank you so much for commenting on my post over at Lou, Boos and Shoes. You are so kind to do that and are a true blogging friend.
    Much love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy New Year Indeed Rebecca!!!
    Thank you for such a sweet and beautiful reminder of God's gift to us...I so needed to read this :)))
    I really enjoyed your "year in review" (last post) as it caught me up on everything that I've missed this past year.
    I hope 2012 brings you many blessings and much happiness and I'm looking forward to reading all about it!!!
    xoxoxo~
    jodie

    ReplyDelete
  26. We must be Twins separated at Birth... I could have written this Post, so many parallels. I wanted to start the New Year off Fresh and with renewed energy & positive energy... I SHOULD HAVE done that... it didn't happen... and here it is day #3. In fact I spent Jan. 1st in bed most of the day, totally spent... not because I Celebrated all night long, at least that would have made sense... but because I'm still worn out from 2011! *LOL* And being so lethargic and lacking of positive energy has left me deflated physically & emotionally, not how I intended to begin 2012... SHOULD HAVE begun a New Year. I have a lot I SHOULD BE doing and needs to be done... an overwhelming amount in fact... and I'm avoiding much of it by sitting here in Blogovia... where I can get a brief respite. *Smiles* But, tomorrow I shall go on a bike ride on my new bicycle and Hope to gain some momentum in the direction I want to head... Hang in there... the Lord knows the Heart of each of us.

    Hugs from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful post Rebecca!
    Happy New Year ♥

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Rebecca...I do believe that everyday is a new beginning. We can all only hope to do our best day by day...and enjoy each precious moment. Love, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a heartfelt and empowering post! And you are so very right...EVERY day is a chance to start fresh! Reflecting is a great thing; keeping balance, perspective and clarity is important as well. Your words are touching and demonstrate all of that!
    Happy New Year and thank you for sharing!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dearest Rebecca, I don`t know what happened here- but I`m glad I read you post today, even it is very late for telling you a happy new year- but it is NEVER TOO late . Your post is as alwayes so beautiful, both words and photoes- thankyou for a beautiful year coming here, visiting you.
    Love you, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  31. That 2012 is of the happiest for you, a blessing for all your family!

    Beautiful day

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave a comment!
Your friendship and visits mean very much to me.